I have to say that I don’t think I’ll get 29 faces done, but for what I do get done, it has been a valuable exercise. I have at least one painting in mind from one of the sketches and another proved to me that I actually know more about faces than I thought I did and it has boosted my confidence in that area
This week I only managed a paltry one and not a good one at that.
I entered a new challenge this month, the Monthly Painters’ Challenge over on Facebook. I was honoured to have been accepted into it in April and I spent most of the month pondering exactly what I was going to do for it.
The challenge was ‘Opposite Colours’, and my initial thought involved a few creatures emerging from a colour wheel and fighting it out. It was a good idea and I could have drawn it, but I felt it was too cartoony and if I did colour it, it would have been in watercolour and my current bunch of art is in acrylics, so I pondered some more.
Do you remember those Butterfly Paintings back in B is for Butterfly? This is the next stage. Basically I created the butterfly painting in blues, let it dry, cut it up randomly with a pair of scissors, sorted the pieces by tone, painted a small canvas with graduated colour (see below for an in progress shot) and then began semi-randomly putting the pieces together.
Motion, paper mosaic and acrylic, approx. 480 x 370 mm. This is what happens when you experiment. You never quite know what you’re going to end up with. This one is slightly weird. I could have added more to it, but it had such a sense of motion to it that I stopped in case […]
Here it is, the project that has been taking me that extra bit of time to finish. It is an experiment, well, for me as I haven’t done one of these before. Done totally on the fly. Beyond deciding the pallette beforehand, I just cut and stuck squares of card. This is what I came […]