Explorations – Bubble painting II

Some time ago I did a series of experiments with paint and bubble bath. They proved quite popular and I had several expressions of interest in a tutorial, so I wrote up my first fully documented Exploration. Since then I have received a request to do a video of the technique. It has taken me a while to get there as I didn’t have the equipment to actually put a video together, but a few days ago I finally managed to wrangle one out of my iPad. It is nothing snazzy, but it does demonstrate a part of the procedure I had difficulty explaining in the tutorial.

So here we are – Bubble Painting Basics.


For more detailed information and my notes, please check out the original Exploration. Here are a few more notes on the medium:

  • Make sure you don’t add too much detergent. I tried working with bubble mixture (for blowing bubbles) but the concentration required was too high vs water and paint. The mixture will not dry. The detergent will corrupt the paint structure.
  • I did some experimenting with acrylic media. The acrylic media doesn’t bubble like water, so what bubbles there are aren’t strong enough to create a high enough stack of bubbles to scoop up a print from.
  • The water, paint and bubblebath ratio is very important. Having not done the experiment for quite some time, I had to re-experiment to find the best mixture. Fortunately I had kept my mixes from last time and after failing to get a good mix with a new batch, I was able to grab the old batch out of the cupboard and re-aquaint myself with what makes a good mix.
  • Stick with the cheap paints. I tried using some of my Golden Liquid Acrylics with no success. I will experiment further as I was using some acrylic media at the time which likely contributed to my failure, but it appears my children’s paints are more successful. Not to mention that the amount of paint needed is considerable and my bank account was groaning each time I squirted some more of my expensive acrylic paint into the mix.
  • Sealing a board with gloss acrylic media resists the bubble print and you end up with little blobby prints rather than bubble prints.
  • Canvas has the wrong texture to fully work this medium. I tried printing on canvas board, but the dry board wouldn’t take the print and when I used some acrylic media, I encountered other problems. I have had some success with gesso, so I might go back and thoroughly coat some canvas board with that and see what I can come up with.

Here are a couple of the prints I came up with this week. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them at this point, but I do find the colours exciting.

Green-orange-yellow bubble painting

I used a muddy green, a bright orange/vermillion and a yellow, colours deliberately chosen because of their ability to make mud. Fortunately no mud was created.

Journal bubbles

And for this I stuck with just the orange/vermillion, but actually managed to print it into an art journal. Art journalling is something I’ve never done before, but I’m interested in exploring as a technique to free up my art. To tell you the truth, I’m finding it a little scary. The whole concept of not preplanning a work, having the previous week’s work and mistakes sitting right next to whatever I’m working on now…it is a very strange concept for me. But I’ve bought the $5 bound journal and am attempting to follow a challenge over at Art Journalling to get me into the act.

Anyways, this is my submission to Paint Party Friday this week. I hope you enjoyed my first ever You Tube video, basic though it was. You never know, I might actually do some more.

Don’t forget to check out the other great artists at Paint Party Friday, there is some fantastic talent over there.

Best wishes,